Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Linda Burton: We'll Ascend Together

Sister Burton begins her talk by reminding us of the importance of and the sacred nature of the role a father has in his family. As a daughter who is so thankful for the love of her father, and as a sister in-law who loves to see her brother in-law honoring his role as husband and father, I have a lot of respect and admiration for men who honor this aspect of their identity.

A father makes a significant impact on the lives of his children. It is a role that deserves more respect than it sometimes receives. It is also a role that I can imagine being very overwhelming, just as motherhood is overwhelming, but in a different way.

That is why Heavenly Father did not intend for His children to fulfill that role alone. Rather, He intended for parents, both fathers and mothers, to have helpmeets. I realize that the wife is usually considered the helpmeet, but I see the role as going both ways.

According to Sister Burthon, "the phrase 'help meet means 'a helper suited to, worthy of, or corresponding to him.'"

Brothers and sister, Heavenly Father wants us to work together, to love and support each other. Not just within the bonds of parenthood and matrimony, but especially within those bonds. As, Sister Burton said, He wants us to follow the advice of the following proverb: "thee lift me and I'll lift thee, and we'll ascend together."

I know that Heavenly Father loves each of us. He wants each of us to live a righteous life, accept the atonement, endure to the end, and return to live with Him. I do not know your particular circumstances. Like me, you may not (yet) have reached the point in your life where you are a father or a mother. You may not even be married, but you are all children of God. You are all part of an eternal family. I know that if we honor our responsibilities and strive to be help meets for each other, we can all return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment