Thursday, July 2, 2015

President Boyd K. Packer: The Plan of Happiness

Hello again, Brothers and Sisters. I am so glad to get back into the habit of writing this blog. I haven't spent much time in the scriptures lately and, consequently, I've felt the difference. But I'm already stating to feel better after only two days of reading and responding to these wonderful conference talks. As someone said, somewhere in the Bible, we all truly need to feast upon the scriptures. 

Boyd K. Packer: The Plan of Happiness


Early in his talk, President Packer makes reference to an important gospel principle. He phrases it this way: "the end of all activity in the Church is to see that a man and a woman with their children are happy at home and sealed together for time and all eternity."

I really love this principle of the gospel. Truthfully, it is really challenging for me to face sometimes. I am single and I don't know when, or if, I will be blessed with children during this life. As I tell my students regularly: yes, I want children, but I have to find their father first.

According to President Packer, "the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth has never been rescinded. It is essential to the plan of redemption and is the source of human happiness." Sitting here now, listening to my sweet nephew sleeping, I cannot help agree with this. I have found much joy and happiness because of my family, but especially because of my niece and nephew. Children are a wonderful blessing and I am so thankful to have these two in my life.

I can admit to some sadness because I do not yet have a family of my own. But I also realize that I am not alone. I do have a family. I am an aunt, a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, and a cousin. I have also been blessed with several wonderful friends. At the moment, I do not have a husband or children, but I do have wonderful people in my life whom I love and cherish. I also have faith that one day I will find my eternal companion and we will have children of our own. I don't know when that will happen, but I trust in Heavenly Father's promise.

After spending some time discussing the sacred nature of our ability to, and responsibility to, have children, President Packer reminds us that we don't need to be fearful if we've made mistakes in the past. He says that while our physical bodies sometimes retain a scar, or other reminder of an injury, our spiritual bodies do not follow the same rules: "our spirits are damaged when we make mistakes and commit sins. But unlike the case of our mortal bodies, when the repentance process is complete, no scars remain because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ."

He ends his message by urging us to escape our feelings of guilt, by "accepting the Atonement of Christ," and by promising that if we do, our "heartache can turn to beauty and love and eternity."

This is such a beautiful apostolic promise. One that I hope all of us will accept into our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment